Sydney, 18 Jan 2017
Sydney Thunder need a lot of results to go their way in order to make it to the top four.
- A loss to Adelaide Strikes would mean the end of the road for Sydney Thunder in the tournament.
- A win would take Sydney Thunder’s points tally to eight but they have no chance of finishing in the top two.
- A win should be sufficient for them to go through provided Sydney Sixers, Melbourne Renegades and Hobart Hurricanes lose their remaining matches.
- If Thunder score 160 and win by 66-plus runs or chase down 160 with 44 balls to spare, they will end up with a better net run-rate than Perth Scorchers. This would improve Thunder’s chance of qualifying should Scorchers lose their last match there is a tie at eight points among multiple teams.
- Adelaide Strikers are already out of the reckoning
Brisbane, 20 Jan 2017
- Brisbane Heat have already qualified for the knockouts but a win against Renegades can ensure a top-two spot and a home semi-final.
- If Heat lose, Scorchers and one among Stars or Sixers can pip them of the top-two slots by winning their last match with large margins. However, Heat have the highest NRR among these four teams.
- Renegades stand eliminated if they lose.
- Even a win is not enough for Renegades to qualify as there exists a possibility of a four-way tie with eight points should Thunder and Hurricanes win their last games.
- They will qualify if Sixers, Thunders and Hurricanes lose their respective games.
Hobart, 21 Jan 2017
- A win for Scorchers would ensure their progress and halt Hurricanes’ journey to knockouts.
- With a big win, Hurricanes can squeeze their NRR past Scorchers and put themselves in a good position if a tie in points ensues.
- Should that not happen, they would need both Renegades and Thunder to lose their matches and hope Stars beat Sixers or Stars lose to Sixers by a small margin so that they can pip Sixers on NRR.
Melbourne, 21 Jan 2017
- The winner of the match will definitely qualify for the knockouts but their final standing will depend on the results of Heat and Scorchers in their last matches.
- This being the last game of the league stage, both teams will have the equation cut out in front of them for a top-two finish.
- If Renegades, Thunder and Hurricanes lose their respective matches, both teams get qualified before the match begins and could well turn out to be a direct shootout for a top two spot.
- Sixers have the lowest NRR among the eight teams which makes it important for them to win this match should other results not go their way.